More info about this blog

These stories are real, though some details may be fictionalized, to protect confidentiality and identities, but these are actual accounts of Qadishtu moments. Stories can be told from either the point of view of the priest or priestess or from the perspective of the client/seeker/supplicant. The point is - what do we actually DO? This blog seeks to help answer that through example. What we do is incredibly varied, depending on our individual experience, training, gifts, and inclinations, and that's why this is a group endeavor. We all have gems to contribute to the larger understanding of what it means to be Qadishtu and the significant need for this role in our society today.

Please be sure to see our Calendar of Sacred Sexuality & Qadishtu Events at the very bottom of this page!


Saturday, January 31, 2009

Welcome to a New Beginning!

I am a Lady, an African American, a Witch, A Qadishtu Priestess and I am proud to be an American. My faith in this great country was restored when millions of Americans voted for our President-Elect. He represents new hope, new light, new experiences, and a new beginning. I truly feel that a breath of fresh air radiated down upon us all on January 20, 2009. Shortly after the November Election, I booked my airline tickets. I didn't know what I was going to do and I already had a place to stay so I was set to experience this Historic event up close and personal.

I started to read about the inaugural events and made up my mind to try to see and take pictures of everything that I could. The excitement of the occasion began to color my every word and step. I have always exhibited my pride, my confidence and my love for the craft/path. Now I will get the chance to show each of these attributes amongst others who would understand. I was told that I was invited to a selection of events and immediately became emotional and excited beyond words. Oh and then my father said a phrase that would set my mood above the moon... Get that Ball Gown ready! Oh joy!!!

The days leading up to my trip I would tell a few people about me leaving and they would look at me with such awe and admitted jealously. I loved that fact that so many people wanted to be there and wished me well. I contemplated the huge significance of those who wanted to be there and those who would actually come. It was estimated over a million would attend the events. Wow, they didn't know the half of it.

I flew up to D.C on Friday. There were a few folks on the plan who were there for the inauguration as well. I am also one who never meets a stranger so of course I talked to a few folks on the plane and they were just excited as I was. When I arrived, I hugged my father and all the way to the house we talked about the significance of our incoming President. He was a child of the 60s and was in Memphis the day that a King was shot. He was inspired to have such a strong man running for Presidency that he for the first time during the election worked the polls and volunteer alot of his time to see his candidate win.

I must also tell you that I am an eclectic soul. I can feel at ease anywhere I go. I attend church services of many different faiths upon occasion. I always visit my father's church because it is steeped in Southern black tradition with a very modern edge of plain speak. The church was established by Freed Slaves back in the early 1800's. I have always been impressed with their energy and on this Sunday the annual tribute to MLK commenced. I was filled with hope and tears watching as the comparisons between the President who freed the slaves, MLK and our President was struck. I watched the youth act out and describe what my forefathers had to endure to be recognized as citizens and to be able to vote. I heard the words of MLK and our future President side by side stirring my emotions. I sang the Negro National Anthem with pride and thought about the many folks who attended the free concert on the Mall in front of the President L. On this day, I recommitted to volunteer and select ways of volunteering that honored my path as well as gave back to my local community. On Monday, I had an opportunity to go to a cleansing/blessing ritual which was held by three local spiritual progressives. They cleanse and charged a crystal that resembled Washington Monument and drummed to send any negativity away from D.C. and bring a healthy spiritual energy to welcome the new President. I didn't get the chance to view this but I felt the energy. I worked and volunteered at three agencies and then went to the Metro to pick up my ticket. I found out the next day that it was a very smart thing to do!!!

I got up early and got ready. We went down to the Metro station and it was packed with people. As we drove up people were walking from miles around to get to ride the Metro. We had a friend drop us off and we walked up past a few folks to ask the officer where do we go. He told us to go right here. He point to the line and we did just that. We walked up admittedly in front of a bunch of people and no one said a word. We got on the metro rail and the journey began. No one fussed about us being able to walk right almost the head of the line and everyone was actually cheering and excited to get on the train. Once on the train we had to stand up for one hour and 30 minutes. From where we picked up the rail, it would have normally taken less than 20 mins. There was alot of announcements about street closures and everyone knew that the Smithsonian exit would be closed but they kept saying it. It was due to security. Some folks got a bit frustrated and got off to walk blocks to the inauguration. Some on my train had tickets to the infamous Purple and Blue Gates. I didn't have a ticket. I was planning on getting downtown and watching it on the big jumbotron somewhere. Everyone was in such good spirits. Folks were chanting Fired up! and his name. Everyone one was smiling and of course the only disappointment I saw was when we would come up to a stop and there was no room to get on our "car". That made me feel a bit bad but happy that I wasn't on the outside. Yes it was cold out there but it was a hot box with all of those folks crowded on the seats, down the aisle and near the doors. We finally made it to the Metro Court stop and got off toward Pennsylvania Ave.


There were so many folks on the street and vending and profiting off such a historic moment. I stopped to buy a few trinkets and kept going forward to the hotel. Every one's face was full of promise, tears and just excitement. Everywhere I went, you can tell this was a special time for everyone in the world. I met people from different countries and those who travelled all across the U.S. to be here just like me.
Once at the hotel, we had to get checked off the list and receive our armbands that would let us into the events for the rest of the day. We decided to go to the room because the moment was almost about to happen. We watch the actual moment on TV.

As a former political scientist and constitutional law lover, I was extremely disappointed in the chief justice mistake. He must remember to use a crib sheet from this point on!! My dad laughed at me later because he said you were right that it was the chief justice who got it wrong. I also told him that no matter what the 20th amendment says that he is President at 12noon. I immensely impressed by the co-founder of the SLC who gave the benediction. It was great to remember the Negro National Anthem and to have someone make us laugh! He was the best!

After the official swearing in, we went to lunch in the viewing room of the hotel. It was an amazing view full of people that I knew, some celebrities, news media and the such. The food was delicious with open bar (nice!). At one point, I believe when the bush left everyone started taking pictures of his helicopter. Funny note: I got a joke in a text that said don't forget to shave your bush on January 20th because it's the end of the bush era. lol.
Anyway, everyone wave to say goodbye and some of the phrases were not so nice. I heard the some boo'd the soon to be former President when he walked out during the Inauguration. Sigh...well that mood didn't last long before the cheering, laughter and the celebration resumed.

We got ready to put our coats back on to go down and watch the parade. I heard that it was being delayed and everyone knows that reason now. We got to see the new president walk down the street with his wife. What a strong confident couple. I was again brought to tears at the significance of the moment. I was proud that he was our President even regardless of race or creed. Here was someone who grew up with a Bohemian mother, grandparents and a Nigerian father. He is America and resembles us all. Many have said not to treat him as a Messiah and I am glad. He is not a Messiah but he is one who has motivated many to change our History.

I celebrated with over 1,000 folks at the ball that night. No it wasn't one of the chosen balls attending by the President. Nonetheless, I had immeasurable fun dancing, glamming it up and basking in a new promise for our country! I never thought I would experience such a historic event as this. I am very grateful and hope that this feeling last for a very long time. We danced until the music stopped playing and went up to bed. I woke up to read every news paper I could get my hands on and relived every moment of the day and night like most of you did: replays on TV!! I left a few days afterward. I saw many people of all walks of life with Presidential paraphernalia on. I saw pride and excitement on every one's face. I saw many people talking and communicating like never before. What a good time to be alive! What a great time to experience something new and refreshing. What a time to be happy about our future even though it will take hard work for everyone, we believe it could happen now.

Final Note: A young America elects first African American president. A nation that moves forward while looking back at our struggles was a theme for so many after the election through to the inauguration. There are so many names mentioned in that struggle for equality as each of us struggle for religious equality and acceptance. I view the moments of that struggle as we advance history to elect this president as a close parallel to our steps to keep freedom of religion and other rights that we in an alternative walk hold near and dear. I am proud to be able to walk my path of the Qadishtu even though who and what we are not always accepted within our society. The struggle for equality in for many have always been a fact of life but with this election the barrier the separate us grows thinner....and thank the Gods for this new hope, this new light, this new experience and this wonderful new beginning.

Namaste',
Gryn




1 comment:

David said...

The 2008 election and President Obama's Inauguration has inspired us all. I like the analogy you made here between this historic event and future acceptance of professional Qadishtu work ... anything is possible!

David